Game Recap: Bears 38, Browns 31

Posted Dec 15, 2013

The Chicago Bears earned a 38-31 victory over the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium Sunday.

On the strength of three fourth-quarter touchdowns, the Chicago Bears earned a 38-31 come-from-behind victory over the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium Sunday.

Despite those scores, the Bears still needed to recover an onside kick after Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon hauled in a 43-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Jason Campbell with 1:03 to play in the fourth quarter.

Chicago wide receiver Earl Bennett caught a four-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Jay Cutler and put the Bears in front of the Browns, 31-24, with just under six minutes to play. The touchdown, which came on third-and-goal, was Chicago’s second of the fourth quarter.

Bears running back Michael Bush capped off a 78-yard scoring drive when he scored a 40-yard touchdown with 3:13 to play.

Chicago wide receiver Alshon Jeffery won a jump ball at the goal line and hauled in a 45-yard touchdown pass which drew the Bears even with the Cleveland Browns with 10:59 remaining in regulation.

On third-and-11, Cutler withstood the pressure from Browns outside linebacker Jabaal Sheard and launched the pass down the field for Jeffery. Browns safety Tashaun Gipson attempted to time his jump and bat the ball down, but the pass sailed over his right hand into the awaiting arms of Jeffery.

The Browns enjoyed a 24-17 lead over the Bears after three quarters of play.

Cleveland strong safety T.J. Ward returned tight end Martellus Bennett’s fumble 51 yards for a touchdown and gave the Browns a 24-17 lead over the Bears with 3:40 to play in the third quarter.

On third-and-eight from Chicago’s 46-yard line, Bennett caught a short pass before Browns defensive end Billy Winn punched the ball loose. Ward scooped up the ball, and surrounded by a host of Browns defenders, returned it for his second defensive touchdown of the season.

Earlier this year, Ward returned an interception 47 yards for a touchdown to seal a 37-24 win over the Buffalo Bills on Oct. 3.

Cleveland running back Edwin Baker, who was signed earlier this week off the Houston Texans’ practice squad, rushed for a two-yard touchdown, the first of his NFL career, and drew the Browns even with the Bears, 17-17, with 8:20 to play in the third quarter.

The 10-play, 85-yard drive took 5:28 off the clock and featured back-to-back Wildcat runs by tight end MarQueis Gray for a combined total 30 yards on carries of 18 and 12 yards, respectively.

Earlier in the possession, Campbell completed a 14-yard pass to wide receiver Greg Little two plays after scrambling for a 17-yard gain.

Chicago cornerback Zack Bowman turned his second interception of Campbell into a 43-yard return for a touchdown, a score that gave the Bears a 17-10 lead over the Browns with 13:48 left in the third quarter.

Bowman intercepted a pass intended for Little on the right side of the formation, and then, got multiple blocks before reaching the end zone.

The Browns and Bears played to a 10-10 tie after one half of play.

Cutler capped off a four-play, 66-yard drive with a five-yard touchdown pass to veteran wide receiver Brandon Marshall, which brought the Bears to a 10-10 tie with the Browns with 24 seconds to play in the first half.

Two plays earlier, Marshall caught a 41-yard pass that moved the Bears from their own 46-yard line to the Browns’ 13.

The Bears had looked as though they got to within four points of the Browns with five minutes to play in the first half, but kicker Robbie Gould’s 46-yard field goal was nullified when defensive end Corey Wootton was whistled for a holding penalty.

Originally, the Bears had lined up to go for it on fourth-and-one-from the Browns’ 24-yard line, but a false start penalty on Jeffery backed them up five yards and forced Chicago to attempt a long field goal.

Gipson returned a Cutler interception 44 yards for a touchdown and gave the Browns a 10-3 lead over the Bears with 8:01 to play in the first half.

On second-and-12 from Chicago’s 17-yard line, Cutler dropped back in the shotgun formation and threw a pass deep down the left sideline for Marshall, but overthrew the veteran pass-catcher and Gipson corralled his second interception of the game, a first in the NFL for the second-year defensive back out of the University of Wyoming.

After collecting his fourth interception of the season, which is tied with cornerback Joe Haden for the team lead, Gipson followed his wall of blockers into the end zone for his first NFL touchdown.

Earlier in the half, Gould converted a 23-yard field goal attempt and drew the Bears even with the Browns, 3-3, with 12:55 to play in the first half of today’s inter-conference game.

On their nine-minute, 31-second drive, the Bears travelled 75 yards in 15 plays.

Cutler converted three of the four third-down attempts the Bears faced on the drive, including a third-and-11 from his own 19-yard line with a 22-yard pass to Bennett and later, a third-and-eight from the Browns’ 43 with an 18-yard throw to Marshall.

Courtesy of a field goal after a forced turnover, the Browns held a 3-0 lead over the Bears after the first quarter of play.

Cleveland kicker Billy Cundiff converted a 35-yard field goal attempt and gave the Browns a 3-0 lead over the Bears with 7:26 to play in the first quarter.

The Browns marched 56 yards on seven plays in 3:11, with the big play of the drive going for a 44-yard gain. On first-and-10 from the Browns’ 37-yard line, Campbell threw a short pass to Little, who caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage, and then, followed blocks from tight end Jordan Cameron, left tackle Joe Thomas and center Alex Mack for the 44-yard gain down to Chicago’s 19.

The Browns’ first scoring play of the game was set up by a Bears turnover.

After the Bears has marched from their 35-yard line to the Browns’ 14, Cutler took a snap on first-and-10 and looked for Marshall on an inside slant route, but Cleveland safety T.J. Ward batted the ball into the air, where fellow Gipson collected his third interception of the season.

Gipson then returned the ball 35 yards to the Browns’ 27.

Recent Headlines