Game Recap: Browns 34, Bengals 24

Posted Oct 14, 2012

The Cleveland Browns earned a 34-24 win over the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday afternoon at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

The Cleveland Browns earned their first victory of the 2012 regular-season with a 34-24 win over the Cincinnati Bengals (3-3) at Cleveland Browns Stadium Sunday afternoon.

Browns defensive back Sheldon Brown registered his first interception of the 2012 regular-season and returned it 19 yards for a touchdown. Brown’s touchdown gave the Browns a 34-17 lead over the Bengals with 7:50 remaining in the fourth quarter.

The Bengals were backed up with a first-and-10 from their 12-yard line after a kickoff following Benjamin Watson’s touchdown catch. Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton took the snap from center and threw a pass intended for second-year wide receiver A.J. Green on the left side of the formation. Brown stepped in the passing lane and was untouched on his way to the end zone.

Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden completed a three-yard touchdowns pass to Watson and expanded the team’s lead to 10 points over the Bengals. With eight minutes left in regulation, the Browns held a 27-17 lead over the Bengals.

The Browns drove 63 yards on six plays in 3:11 and answered for Mike Nugent’s 44-yard field goal.

Nugent’s field goal drew his team to within a field goal of the Browns at 20-17 at the 11:11 mark of the fourth quarter. The kick concluded an eight-play, 34-yard drive that took 3:45 off the fourth-quarter clock.

Browns running back Montario Hardesty ran behind right guard Shawn Lauvao and leapt across the goal line for a one-yard touchdown run and gave the team a 20-14 lead over the Bengals at the 14:56 mark of the fourth quarter.

Hardesty’s first career rushing touchdown capped off a 10-play, 66-yard drive that took 5:17 off the game clock. Hardesty was in the game for Trent Richardson, who injured his flank earlier in the contest.

The Browns trailed the Bengals, 14-13, at the end of three quarters of play in Sunday’s game.

Dawson converted a 38-yard field goal attempt and drew the team to within one point of the Bengals, 14-13, at the 6:27 mark of the third quarter. Dawson’s second field goal in the Browns’ last two possessions of the game was set up by a Bengals turnover.

Browns defensive back Joe Haden intercepted Dalton on a deflection off the hands of Green and returned it to their 25-yard line.

Dalton dropped back on third-and-seven from Cincinnati’s 23-yard line and was flushed from the pocket by the Browns’ defensive line. Dalton’s pass then caromed off Green’s hands and into Haden’s arms for his second interception of the season.

Earlier in the quarter, Dawson kicked a 41-yard field goal and drew the team to within four points of the Bengals at 14-10 with 8:25 left in the third quarter. Dawson’s kick followed a 60-yard punt return by Joshua Cribbs to the Bengals’ 30-yard line only four plays earlier.

On the strength of two touchdown passes from quarterback Andy Dalton, the Bengals held a 14-7 lead over the Browns at halftime of today’s game.

When Green caught a four-yard touchdown pass from Dalton, the Bengals retook a seven-point lead over the Browns at 14-7 with 1:54 left in the first half.

Green’s touchdown catch capped off a three-play, 27-yard drive that started with wide receiver Brandon Tate’s 32-yard punt return to the Browns’ 32-yard line. A five-yard penalty for an ineligible man downfield was enforced from the end of the return.

Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon drew the team even with the Bengals at 7-7 with a 71-yard touchdown reception from Weeden at the 14:51 mark of the second quarter.

The 71-yard score was Gordon’s third touchdown in the last two games. He has the team’s two longest receptions on the year and Weeden has now thrown two of the five longest touchdown passes ever by a Browns rookie quarterback.

Only Tim Couch’s 78-yard pass to running back Terry Kirby was longer than Weeden’s 71-yarder to Gordon.

After one quarter of play, the Bengals held a 7-0 lead over the Browns.

Only three plays after the Bengals started their second possession of the game with an interception of Weeden, Dalton threw a 55-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jermaine Gresham and gave the team a 7-0 lead with 7:07 left in the first quarter.

Gresham ran a route on the right side of the formation, forced his way out of tackle attempts and ran for the goal line. He absorbed a hit from defensive back Joe Haden and fell into the end zone for the score.

On their first offensive drive of the game, the Browns moved the ball from their 14-yard line down to Cincinnati’s 27, but on first-and-10, Weeden had his pass tipped at the line of scrimmage and intercepted by right defensive end Michael Johnson.

Following the interception, the Bengals took over first-and-10 at their own 37-yard line.

Earlier in the game, the Browns forced a three-and-out on the first series of the game for the Bengals.

Game Recap is presented by Giant Eagle, the Official Supermarket of the Cleveland Browns.

Recent Headlines