Jackson returns to practice

Posted Oct 11, 2012

After suffering a concussion in Sunday’s loss to the New York Giants and missing Wednesday’s practice, linebacker D’Qwell Jackson returned to the field on Thursday.

Cleveland Browns linebacker D’Qwell Jackson returned to practice on a limited basis on Thursday after he suffered a concussion in Sunday’s loss to the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium.

Following Thursday’s practice in Berea, Jackson said he was “full-go” and plans on being on the field Sunday.

“I passed all the tests; I’ve rested,” Jackson said. “I’ve felt fine the day of it happening. The first five minutes, first five to 10 minutes were a little cloudy, but everything was back to normal and no setbacks to this point.”

Jackson suffered the concussion late in the second quarter.

Two plays after the Browns turned the ball over on a fumbled kickoff return, the Giants faced a second-and-10 from Cleveland’s 29-yard line. Quarterback Eli Manning took the snap under center and handed the ball off to running back Ahmad Bradshaw. Bradshaw ran through the middle of his offensive line and defensive tackle Ahtyba Rubin made the tackle.

While Rubin made the tackle, Jackson got caught up between two offensive linemen.

“At the time, I thought I was fine,” Jackson said. “Obviously, the people that were attending to me, they said I wasn’t. After 10 minutes or so, after feeling cloudy and dizzy, I was back to normal, but I think it’s a great thing that the league is doing by if that happens, not allowing the player back into the game. You never know what kind of damage you could do in the long term. Once you affect your head, it’s about long-term. It’s not like an ankle injury, an arm, a wrist or anything like that. It’s your head we’re talking about it.

“I came out immediately. I couldn’t get up at the time, so when I did walk off, they knew immediately, ‘You’re done. Let’s get further tests, do the Impact Test and the proper tests they have for guys in my situation.’”

Jackson said it was tough to watch the remainder of the game, especially after he was unable to play for 26 straight contests because of separate pectoral tears during the 2009 and 2010 seasons. However, Jackson admitted it was best for him not to finish the game.

“This is real life,” Jackson said. “This is about me having kids one day, me having a family one day and I can’t jeopardize myself like that. It’s about my head, taking care of my head. It’s a bigger issue. When it comes to that, it’s not about football; it’s not about wins and losses. It’s about life after football, that’s what’s most important to me.”

Recent Headlines