· In his 27th season in the NFL and 18th as an assistant coach following nine seasons as a quarterback (1995-03).
· Joined the Browns in 2020 and helped the offense to some of its best numbers in generations. Cleveland's 408 points were its second-most in franchise history, while the club also finished with its second-best total in scrimmage touchdowns (48) and tied for the second-most first downs (355). The Browns finished third in the league in rushing with an average of 148.4 yards per game (the team's best since 1978). Helped RT Jack Conklin earn first team AP All-Pro honors and G Joel Bitonio and G Wyatt Teller earn second team honors. Bitonio and RB Nick Chubb were selected to the Pro Bowl.
· Helped the Browns lead the NFL in rushing average in 2021 with a 5.09 mark, the highest average by a Browns team since 1966. The team's 6,090 scrimmage yards were the fourth most by the club in a single season. Chubb finish second in the league in rushing yards en route to a Pro Bowl selection.
· Helped Bitonio and Teller to Pro Bowl selections in 2021, the first time a pair of Browns guards made the Pro Bowl since 1967. In addition, Bitonio was selected as a 2021 All-Pro first team honoree, while Teller was named to the second team.
· While coaching the quarterbacks in Cincinnati from 2018-19, helped QB Andy Dalton combine for 6,060 passing yards and 37 touchdowns in 24 starts, while guiding QBs Ryan Finley (three in 2019) and Jeff Driskel (five in 2018) in the first starts of their NFL careers.
· Spent four seasons (2014-17) coaching the quarterbacks in Green Bay. During that span, QB Aaron Rodgers tied for second in the NFL with 125 touchdowns. In 2016, Rodgers led the NFL with 40 touchdown passes and became just the second QB in NFL history (Tom Brady, 2015) to post 600-plus attempts and seven or fewer INTs in a season. Rodgers was named NFL MVP in 2014 after totaling 4,381 passing yards, 38 touchdowns, five interceptions and a 112.2 rating.
· As running backs coach (2012-13), tutored RB Eddie Lacy as he set franchise rookie records for rushing yards (1,178) and rushing TDs (11) on his way to a Pro Bowl selection and AP's NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors in 2013.
· Prior to Green Bay, coached the quarterbacks in Tampa Bay, where he helped develop QB Josh Freeman, who threw for a combined 7,043 yards from 2010-11, the most passing yards over a two-year period to that point in franchise annals.
· Four-year starter (1989-92) at the University of Pittsburgh, where he set Pitt career records for most passing yards (11,267), completions (867) and attempts (1,503). He became only the fifth collegiate player to throw for 2,000 yards in four consecutive seasons.
· Originally was drafted by the Steelers in the eighth round of the 1993 NFL Draft, and later signed with Buffalo as a free agent in 1995. Spent entire nine-year career (1995-2003) with the Bills and played in 31 games with 11 starts while amassing 2,985 passing yards and 16 touchdowns.
· Upon his retirement as a player, spent two seasons as the color analyst for the Buffalo Bills Radio Network before pursuing a career in coaching.
· Began coaching career in NFL Europe as the Frankfurt Galaxy's quarterbacks coach, where he was responsible for the offensive play-calling during the 2005 season.
· Climbed the coaching ladder during five seasons (2005-09) with the Bills, serving first as a volunteer coach in 2005 all the way to offensive coordinator in 2009.
· Married, Brooke, and has two daughters, Payton Dale and Katherine Paige, and a son, Jack MacGregor.
Alex Van Pelt's NFL Playing Background:
1995-2003 Buffalo Bills, quarterback
Alex Van Pelt's Coaching Background:
2005 Frankfurt Galaxy, quarterbacks coach
2005 Buffalo Bills, volunteer offensive quality control coach
2006 University at Buffalo, quarterbacks/passing game coordinator
2006-07 Buffalo Bills, offensive quality control coach
2008-09 Buffalo Bills, quarterbacks coach
2009 Buffalo Bills, offensive coordinator
2010-11 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, quarterbacks coach
2012-13 Green Bay Packers, running backs coach
2014 Green Bay Packers, quarterbacks coach
2015 Green Bay Packers, quarterbacks/wide receivers coach
2016-17 Green Bay Packers, quarterbacks coach
2018-19 Cincinnati Bengals, quarterbacks coach
2020- Cleveland Browns, offensive coordinator