On Thursday, the Cleveland Browns hosted a FREE Rookie Tackle Coaches Clinic for youth and high school coaches in Northeast Ohio. Legendary St. Ignatius Head Coach and Browns Youth Football Advisor, Chuck Kyle led the clinic. During the clinic, new and existing programs learned about the USA Football American Development Model, 7 on 7 Rookie Tackle Coaching Techniques, on field set up and much more.
Flag Football --> Rookie Tackle --> 11-Player Tackle
Rookie Tackle is a small-sided form of the game that introduces young players to tackle football. It consists of seven players per side on a 40-yard-by-35-yard field with a clear focus on skill development and fun. As part of USA Football's vision for long-term athlete development, it serves as a bridge between flag football and 11-player, full field tackle football.
*Key Aspects of Rookie Tackle Game Play: *
- Seven players on the field per team
- 40-yard-by-35-yard playing field size, scaled for a youth athlete's age and skill level
- Maximizes field space by playing two games simultaneously on a regulation-sized field
- Players learn multiple positions and skills; position-specialization is not introduced
- Smaller teams foster more playing time and opportunities for improvement, success
- Players on offensive and defensive lines begin every play in a two-point stance
- Removal of special teams encourage more plays from scrimmage and skill development
- More focused, individualized coaching attention by virtue of a smaller roster
For more information on USA Football Rookie Tackle, please visit www.usafootball.com/rookietackle
Follow @BrownsYouthFB for all your Cleveland Browns youth and high school football updates.