· In 19th season as an NFL coach, including 13 seasons with the 49ers and three seasons as the defensive coordinator for the Raiders.
· Joined the Browns in 2020 and helped the defense rank among the league leaders in takeaways, including an NFL-best six red zone takeaways. Helped the Browns rank ninth in the league in run defense after finishing 30th in 2019.
· Helped the Browns finish the 2021 season fifth in the NFL in total defense, marking just the third time since 1970 the team ranked in the top-five and the club's highest finish since 1987. The Browns were one of just three NFL teams (Green Bay and San Francisco) to finish 2021 in the top-12 in total defense, run defense and pass defense. Also oversaw the development of second-round pick LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, who was named to the PFWA All-Rookie team.
· In addition to serving as Vanderbilt's defensive coordinator from 2018-19, oversaw the outside linebackers in 2018 and inside linebackers in 2019. In 2019, he helped junior LB Dimitri Moore lead the team with 99 total tackles and rank third in the SEC in the same category.
· Spent 13 seasons over two stints (2001-10 and 2015-17) in San Francisco. Worked under seven head coaches (Steve Mariucci, Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, Jim Tomsula, Chip Kelly and Kyle Shanahan) while with the 49ers.
· With the 49ers, Tarver helped coach and oversee the production of former AP Comeback Player of the Year and Pro Bowl RB Garrison Hearst, All-Pro LBs Takeo Spikes, NaVorro Bowman and Ahmad Brooks, All Pro and former Defensive Rookie of the Year LB Patrick Willis, as well as LBs Parys Haralson and Manny Lawson, to name a few.
· As defensive coordinator with the Raiders (2012-14), helped oversee a unit that ranked 10th in the NFL in yards per carry allowed (4.05) over his three seasons. In first season as the Raiders defensive coordinator, Oakland's defense improved from 29th overall in 2011 to 18th in 2012.
· Served as the co-defensive coordinator/inside linebackers coach at Stanford University in 2011. Under his guidance, the Cardinal defense ranked third in the nation in rushing yards allowed per game (84.4) and 11th in points allowed per game (16.41), while finishing the season with an 11-2 record.
· Spent three years (1998-00) as a graduate assistant with UCLA and worked primarily with defensive backs, while also assisting with special teams. During his tenure with the Bruins, he helped produce several future NFL players, including CBs Ricky Manning and Jason Bell and S Marques Anderson.
· Played defensive back at West Valley College from 1994-95. Then spent the following two seasons as an assistant coach on the West Valley staff, supporting linebackers, defensive backs and special teams.
· Earned a bachelor's degree in chemistry from Santa Clara University and a master's degree in biochemistry and molecular biology from UCLA.
· Tarver and his wife, Katie, have two boys, Merrick and Keegan.
Jason Tarver's Coaching Background:
1996-97 West Valley College, special teams and defensive assistant
1998-2000 UCLA, graduate assistant/defensive backs and special teams coach
2001-03 San Francisco 49ers, offensive quality control coach
2004 San Francisco 49ers, assistant running backs coach
2005-10 San Francisco 49ers, outside linebackers coach
2011 Stanford University, co-defensive coordinator/inside linebackers coach
2012-14 Oakland Raiders, defensive coordinator
2015-17 San Francisco 49ers, senior defensive assistant/linebackers coach
2018 Vanderbilt University, outside linebackers/defensive coordinator
2019 Vanderbilt University, inside linebackers/defensive coordinator
2020- Cleveland Browns, linebackers coach